This article is put together from a seminar that highlighted the role of Lingzhi / Ganoderma on Colon Cancer, which in turn is taken from Ganoderma Bulletin Issue No. 61, 2013. This quarterly publication educates readers on the contribution of Lingzhi / Ganoderma to our health.
- Subject of research: Nude mice (hairless mice which don't have normal immune system, used in research to determine if Lingzhi boosts up our immune system to fight cancer cells or Lingzhi fights cancer cells directly).
- Component of ganoderma: Polysaccharide peptides.
- Result: Reduce proliferation of HUVEC cells (Human Umbilical Vein Endothelial Cells), induce HUVEC cells death and inhibit over expression of VEGF (Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor).
Conclusion: Ganoderma Polysaccharide can inhibit the growth of blood vessels from cancer tumor.
- Multi-drug resistance. If a patient has high resistance to drugs, he is less responsive to treatment and will be harder to treat.
- Low-drug sensitivity. If a patient has low drug sensitivity, he is less responsive to treatment and will take longer time to recover.
Test: Different dosage of Lingzhi Polysaccharide is added to the K562/ADM cells which are treated with a chemo drug called Adriamycin.
- Triterpenoids is more effective (direct effect) in arresting cancerous cell proliferation as compared to Polysaccharides.
- An optimum (high) concentration of Ganoderma is crucial to successfully fight cancer cells.
- G. Lucidum has the same inhibitory effect on cancer cell/tumor growth, but G. Formosanum has no such inhibitory effect - meaning not all types of Lingzhi are effective in fighting cancer cells.
Further, duration of consumption is important - an appropriate length of time is required before results are seen.
The graph below shows the growth in tumor size over 21 days (comparing mice which have been fed with Ganoderma extract and those which have not).
In other words, Ganoderma works the same way as chemo drugs, but without the side effects.
- reduce intake of chemo drugs
- reduce side effects of chemo drugs
- reduce treatment cost incurred.
Besides increasing treatment efficacy, Ganoderma does not have any side effects on our brain, heart, liver, spleen, lung, kidney, stomach, adrenal glands and gastrointestinal system. Ganoderma also does not cause blood clots, inflammation, bleeding, abnormal tissue growth or abnormal reading of blood counts. These are potential side effects for cancer patients who undergo chemo treatment without combining with Ganoderma.