Heard of DVT (deep vein thrombosis)? It's a blood clot that forms in the veins of your leg due to prolonged inactivity during long airplane flights. It becomes life-threatening when that clot breaks off (embolism) and travels to your lungs or heart.
It is normal and necessary for our blood to clot. However, it is not normal when blood clots (thrombi) form within our large veins. This is called venous thromboembolism (VTE), and can be dangerous. It's estimated to be the 3rd most common cardiovascular disease after heart disease and stroke.
Risk Factors of Developing Thrombosis
- Had a major operation recently
- Wearing a plaster cast for a broken or fractured leg
- Have cancer and undergoing treatment
- Stroke or paralysis
- Immobility, prolonged periods of sleeping, sitting or standing.
- Increasing age
- Pregnant and have a history of thrombosis
- Certain oral contraceptives
- Long journeys. The extended period of sitting still is exacerbated by the lower pressure in the plane's cabin, and consuming excessive alcohol and caffeine, which can cause dehydration, making the blood thicker and making it move more slowly.
Signs or Symptoms of Thrombosis
- Feeling warmth over the affected area
- Feeling tenderness or pain in the leg
- Swelling and a sensation of heaviness in the leg, particularly when you've been standing. If you press your finger onto the affected area, the pressure from your finger will create a small dent for several seconds.
Warning Signs of Pulmonary Embolism (blood clots in the lungs)
- Sudden shortness of breath
- Chest pain that worsens when you take deep breaths
- Feeling dizzy or fainting spells
- Rapid pulse
- Coughing up blood
heparin and warfarin. Some pointers and words of caution:-
- Have to be hospitalised for 5 days as warfarin takes several days to work.
- Compulsory to take the medication exactly as instructed and adhere to strict diet, as warfarin interacts with other drugs and foods.
- Have to go for regular blood tests as heparin and warfarin can have serious side effects. Overdose results in increased risk of bleeding. Taking too little risks getting additional blood clots.
- Have to take warfarin for at least 3 months.
Some side effects of heparin include:
- Bruise easily
- Bleed easily
- Have to watch what you eat
- Internal bleeding
- Vision changes
- Affected movement as your joints become more stiff
- Feelings of confusion.
You don't have to observe a strict diet.
There is no requirement for regular blood test.
There is no side effects at all and you don't need to go to the hospital.
That is why I strongly recommend Lingzhi and encourage you to understand more how this natural herb works.